There are potentially thousands of different job interview questions, though many questions are merely the same question asked in a different way. Below are 40 interview questions you may be asked, relating to 6 question categories.
The following job interview questions relate to job fit - the interviewer trying to assess whether this job is a good fit for you.
- Why are you interested in working in this industry?
- Describe a past experience or story that explains your interest in this work.
- What skills and abilities make you particularly good at this work?
- How do you keep motivated and energized in your job?
- What kind of work inspires you?
- What will keep you interested in this work or industry over the long term?
- Describe what your ideal career looks like.
- What attributes do you think make someone an excellent __________ (insert name of job title)?
- In what type of work environment are you at your best?
The following interview questions relate to how you get work done.
- What are your biggest strengths?
- Are you concept-oriented or task-oriented?
- How would colleagues describe your attention to detail?
- How do you manage time?
- Do you take initiative without being asked for it?
- Which aspects of this job do you feel most confident about?
- How would you describe your work style?
- Provide examples of projects in which you performed at your best.
The following interview questions assess whether you have done your homework and understand what the organization is about.
- To the best of your ability, describe our company and what you think makes it unique.
- Why do you want to work here?
- Where do you think the biggest challenges lie for this organization?
The following questions relate to assessing how you are distinct from other candidates.
- What skills or ideas do you bring to the job that other candidates won't offer?
- What unique value do you bring to our organization?
- How are you different from the rest of the crowd?
- How will your skill set complement the current abilities of the department?
- What particularly difficult problems have you solved before?
The following questions are related to whether you are a hard worker.
- How do you stay on top of new developments in this line of work?
- What factors cause you to be successful in your career?
- Tell me about a time when you tackled a tough assignment.
- How would you (or your last employer) describe your work habits?
- Describe a personal skill or work habit that you have worked hard to improve?
- In the past, when things didn't go as planned, how did you regroup?
- Tell me about a time when an obstacle caused you to deviate from your plan, yet you still reached the desired goal.
The following questions relate to how you work with other people.
- What type of people do you work with most effectively?
- Do you work better on your own or in a group?
- What personal characteristics make you effective?
- How would you describe your leadership style?
- What role do you usually take on a team?
- How would other people describe working with you?
- What makes you an effective team member?
- Are you a team player?
Succeed in any Interview with Interview Success Formula™
- Multimedia Online Course
- INSTANT Online Access (PC/MAC/Ipad Compatible)
- Custom-Built Interview Answers
- Over 50 PDF Worksheets
- Downloadable Audio & PDFs
- Unlimited Access
- 365-Day Money Back Guarantee